Conquering Phobias - It's Easier Than You Think
Most people are shocked when they learn that I traveled all the way to Asia to overcome my fear of heights. Overcoming phobias is an interesting theme in self-mastery and we all have them. What many of us may not realize is that overcoming a fear or phobia is actually easier than we might think.
I had, in fact, two common phobias:
- fear of heights or of falling
- arachnophobia (fear of spiders, especially the big, hairy ones!)
According to my mentor, John F. Demartini (1), there are seven basic human fears that can run our lives and keep us from living our lives to the fullest, if we allow them to.
- Fear of breaking away from the system of a perceived spiritual authority (I don’t want to be considered a bad person or go to hell).
- Fear of not having enough mental capability (I’m not smart enough).
- Fear of failure (I’ll fall short).
- Fear of losing it all financially (I’ll go broke or bankrupt. I won’t make enough money to survive).
- Fear of losing a loved one (My parents might disown me, my lover will leave me or my kids will hate me).
- Fear of societal rejection (I’m afraid of what everyone will think or I won’t fit in).
- Fear of not having physical capability (I’m not tall enough, I’m not strong enough, I’m not good looking enough).
It’s important to remember that fear results when our perceptions are unbalanced.
Let me share with you my experience on the Tokyo Tower which looks similar to the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Remember, I hated heights and still ascended to the heights of this huge city to behold a gorgeous view.
I walked around and found a spot in direct alignment with Mount Fuji. I stared out the window for a very long time and thought about many things on that clear afternoon. I thought about my practice in Florida. I thought about my age and what I had overcome. I thought about my friends all over the globe.
As I looked along the horizon textured with skyscrapers and businesses, I felt such peace. Standing there, I realized I didn’t have to fear anymore. All the fears that plagued me throughout the years left me in an instant. I had mastered them!
Like roots of a bonsai tree, I allowed the fears to pour out of me. I felt a zen-like state of complete peace. I felt full of personal pride. I no longer had to fear those enormous heights, either!
There are numerous ways to overcome fears and phobias, and I encourage you to try one or more of them.
Many people can learn to overcome phobias simply by gradually going through their fears. This isn’t easy at first. It takes willingness and courage. Some people need the help of a therapist, counselor or mentor to guide them through the process and that’s perfectly alright and very beneficial.
Fear is of our own mental making but imagine what your life can be like when you know no fear—when you can be confident and at ease in situations and powerful too. Envision yourself like a Samurai warrior!
(1) Dr. John Fredrick Demartini is an American researcher, bestselling author, international educator, public speaker in human behavior and former chiropractor. He is considered one of the world's leading authorities on human behavior and personal development. He is the founder of the Demartini Institute, a private research and education organization with a curriculum of over 72 different courses covering multiple aspects of human development.